If I won the lotto and I wanted to claim it anonymously could I set up a blind trust or an irrevocable trust to accept the cash

Asked over 2 years ago - Loomis, CA

If I win I would want to find out how to do that I don't want to accept my winnings out in the open I'm not trying to get shot. Or have people find out where you live or anything like that I think you can set something up with an experienced lawyer or attorney. Does anyone know of any here in Sacramento county that are knowledgeable in this area? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank You.

1. Julie Christine Brooks Mains

1

1

Best Answer

Answered . A very simple answer to your question is that there are a variety of different ways to claim the money without your individual name attached to it. I respectfully disagree with the contributor that stated that the California state lottery would require disclosure of your name in order to claim your winnings. You need an experienced California estate planning attorney to help you should you have the good fortune to have this problem.

2. Steven J. Fromm

2

1

Answered . You cannot do this on your own and you need a face to face meeting with an estates attorney. First, you have to pay income on this money and under assignment of income tax rules you cannot assign it to others. This raises a limitation on any of the methods discussed or contemplated. There are various trusts as alluded to all with postives and negatives. With the money at issue it is utter foolishness to not get with a good estate planning attorney to discuss all the alternatives as well as federal and state income and estate implications.

Hope this helps.

Please remember to designate a best answer to your question.

Mr. Fromm is licensed to practice law throughout the state of PA with offices in Philadelphia and Montgomery Counties. He is authorized to handle IRS matters throughout the United States. His phone number is 215-735-2336, his email address is sjfpc@comcast.net , for more tax, estate and business articles visit his website www.sjfpc.com. and blog

3. Matthew Erik Johnson

1

1

Answered . The answer is "yes", you can set up a confidential trust which will protect your identity. You can do so either by creating a business entity, owned by a business trust, for which a trust company is the named officer and trustee. You will remain anonymous as the owner. However, there may be gift tax implications for a set-up like this, and some research may need to be done since this is not a common scenario.

You can also set up an irrevocable trust, though there are tax implications; and once created you would have no further control over the funds. You could still receive income from the trust, but you would not be able to change the trust once created.

However, in all cases you and/or your beneficiaries will be taxed at a compressed on the income from a trust. (unless the beneficiary is a qualified charity)

4. James P. Frederick

Answered . I am not sure that it is POSSIBLE to do what you are suggesting. Most state lotteries have rules requiring you to personally accept your award. They want to use this information to help publicize the lottery and aid in future sales. If everyone could claim things anonymously, people would assume that they are being cheated.

If this CAN be done, a high end estate planning lawyer or firm should be able to help you set something up.

James Frederick