If i withdraw my i-130 does that clear me of marriage fraud?

Asked over 2 years ago - Endeavor, WI

So I have been in a marriage for almost a year now, and originally I married because I thought i was in love. Later, as in the first couple months of being married, I learned that he did not feel the same way. I stayed married so he could obtain his citizenship because I felt compelled to do so. I love him. But now, after we have gone to the interview, our relationship is obviously not the same as it once was. The officer suspected us, and was then sent a letter of "intent to deny". I have done some research, and with that I feel no matter what he will be denied. He is very angry and making death threats to me. Even blackmailing me. I need to withdraw my i-130 but even so, he says he will tell USCIS. I just want everything to look good on my end. Will this help?

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Dhenu Mitesh Savla


    Contributor Level 17

    Answered . You may withdraw your petition. Unless you are the one receiving immigration benefit, the consequences will be on him, not on you.

    Dhenu Savla, Esq.
    SwagatUSA, LLC

  2. Neil Ian Fleischer


    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . no, but it is a good first step

    Neil I Fleischer (513) 977-4209 www.immigrate2usa.com Note: Neil Fleischer is an attorney licensed in the State... more
  3. J Charles Ferrari

    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . I mostly agree with both of my colleagues. However, even withdrawing the I-130, there is a possibility of consequences for you, even though there is a very low probability of those consequences attaching.

    J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not... more

Related Topics


Divorce is the process of formally ending a marriage. Divorces may be jointly agreed upon, resolved by negotiation, or decided in court.


If you want to visit or move permanently to the US, you'll want to learn about your different immigration options.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

22,764 answers this week

2,765 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

22,764 answers this week

2,765 attorneys answering