Skip to main content

If I were convicted by Family law court for domestic violence charge, I'll be deported? I'm a green card holder right now.

Los Angeles, CA |

My ex (an Iranian man) made up "facts" to file to the family law court for charging me domestic violence, and the family law court, after receiving his request, issued a temporary restraining order to me. I just want to know whether or not family law court's judgement/verdict on domestic violence also has the same effect that I could be deported.
Should I hire a family law attorney to help me or I go to court next week by myself?
I believe the judge would know the truth after he understands the whole story.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


Deportability is established by a conviction for a "crime" of domestic violence. A domestic violence protective order issued by a family court is not the same as a criminal conviction and therefore not grounds for deportability.

However, you should make sure that no criminal proceedings are being conducted or started in your case. It is very important to understand the full range of legal proceedings you are in, so that you will not be blindsided by something you don't expect. I suggest you obtain legal representation by an attorney.

Wolf W. Kaufmann
Southern California Immigration Attorney

This post is intended to be of general educational nature only and cannot be a substitute for detailed legal advice in your case. No attorney-client relationship is being created by this post.



You need to obtain representation immediately to attend the hearing with a criminal attorney and ensure the temporary order is dismissed.

Sarah Jeannette Arnott

Sarah Jeannette Arnott


You don't need a criminal defense attorney. I am a family law attorney with considerable domestic violence work both with alleged victims and alleged perpetrators in family court. Criminal defense attorneys are generally unfamiliar with the burdens of proof and the subtleties of family court. A well-versed family attorney with domestic violence work is a better option.

Criminal defense topics

Recommended articles about Criminal defense

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer