If I was transferred from Formal to Bench probation, can I move out of the state?

Asked about 2 years ago - Hillsboro, OR

I have paid all of my fines and completed all other court orders
other than the extended term of probation due to the payment arrangement the judge set up. Original charge was a B- felony: D.C.S. Marijuana and I am thinking abot moving from Oregon to Alabama.
Will I just need to give them my address or what?

Attorney answers (2)

  1. MacDaniel E Reynolds

    Contributor Level 6


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . This is MacDaniel Reynolds with Reynolds Defense Firm. A general condition of probation (bench or formal) is that you are not permitted to leave the state without permission. In addition to this general probation condition, you may also be subject to the Interstate Compact Act because you are on probation for a felony. If this does apply, not only would you have to get Oregon's permission to leave the state, but you would actually have to get Alabama's permission to move there. This is complex enough that I strongly suggest you contact an attorney for specific advice on your case – either call the attorney who initially represented you on the felony, or feel free to call my office, at 503.223.3422. Regardless, I wish you the best.

  2. John E. Schlosser

    Contributor Level 11

    Answered . You will still need to request permission from your bench probation judge. If you leave the state without first requesting permission you will have committed a probation violation.

    Nothing in this communication should be construed as creating an attorney client relationship. This is for... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

26,664 answers this week

2,995 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

26,664 answers this week

2,995 attorneys answering