If I was transferred from Formal to Bench probation, can I move out of the state?

Hillsboro, OR |

I have paid all of my fines and completed all other court orders
other than the extended term of probation due to the payment arrangement the judge set up. Original charge was a B- felony: D.C.S. Marijuana and I am thinking abot moving from Oregon to Alabama.
Will I just need to give them my address or what?

1. You will still need to request permission from your bench probation judge. If you leave the state without first requesting permission you will have committed a probation violation.

Nothing in this communication should be construed as creating an attorney client relationship. This is for informational purposes only. Attorney will take no action on your behalf unless and until a written retainer agreement is signed. There are strict time deadlines on filing claims and, as such, you are advised to consult with and retain an attorney immediately to file such claims timely or you will lose any right to recovery.

2. This is MacDaniel Reynolds with Reynolds Defense Firm. A general condition of probation (bench or formal) is that you are not permitted to leave the state without permission. In addition to this general probation condition, you may also be subject to the Interstate Compact Act because you are on probation for a felony. If this does apply, not only would you have to get Oregon's permission to leave the state, but you would actually have to get Alabama's permission to move there. This is complex enough that I strongly suggest you contact an attorney for specific advice on your case – either call the attorney who initially represented you on the felony, or feel free to call my office, at 503.223.3422. Regardless, I wish you the best.