If I was married in the U.S to my husband who is in political asylum,will this expedite my I-730 derivative asylum process?

Asked over 1 year ago - New York, NY

My husband has been approved for political asylum. We were married in the state of northern Virginia 2 months before his asylum was filed and approved. He will file the I-730 to bring me to the u.s soon. I am currently based in Lebanon.Given that our marriage took place and was certified in the u.s, will this help expedite the approval of my derivative asylum?

1. Carl Michael Shusterman

Pro

20

Answered . It will allow you to come to the US as an asylee, but it won't expedite your application.

2. Giacomo Jacques Behar

Pro

7

Answered . That will allow you to come and join your husband in the US, but will not expedite your application.

3. Robin Jean Gray

Pro

4

Answered . I agree with my colleagues. It will permit you to enter the United States, but you will still need to go through the process to acquire your asylum status. You should contact an attorney to assist you with this process.

4. Steven Tanijo

Pro

5

Answered . Your marriage just allows your husband to bring you into the US as a Derivative Asylee. It does not give you rights for expedited processing. However, there are other grounds to make that request, but you should consult an attorney.