If I was involved in an accident with a vehicle whose registration was expired and I was cited for it, do I have a case?

Asked over 1 year ago - Jacksonville, FL

Should they have technically not been on the road?

I was cited for careless driving and no one was injured. I just wanted to see if I had a case in court to not have to pay the ticket.

1. Don Paul Harvey

Pro

10

Answered . Out of date registration has nothing really to do with the accident. It is one of liability. Without details of the accident, it's hard to give any advice. Consult a personal injury attorney in Jax.

2. David Hughes Harris

Pro

10

Answered . Whether you have a case depends on whether the other driver was negligent in causing or contributed to causing your actual injuries/damages.

The status of a vehicle being unregistered does not negate the cause and effect of the crash, and thus is generally not a factor in FL as to liability. Rather the vehicle's lack of registration goes more to administrative. If not registered, then there may not have been any insurance coverage, which is not good for you. This may also have an effect on the owner's liability (if the driver was at fault).

You'll need to give the specific of your circumstances to an attorney whom you consult in person.

3. Robert Dale Bernard

10

Answered . The expired tag is incidental. Technically, the other vehicle should not have been on the road. But what if it was a kid on a bike or a motorized wheelchair or a parked car? Based on the circumstances, you were cited by the police for allegedly doing something wrong. From the information you've shared, we don't know what that is, and on this pubic forum you should not get more specific. Contact an attorney that handles traffic infractions to see if they can get the charge reduced or dismissed.

4. Clifford M. Miller

Pro

8

Answered . The two things are legally unrelated. A lawyer would say they are "remote" or not causal.

5. Michael R Crosner

6

Answered . Consult a local Traffic Ticket Lawyer - usually inexpensive & well worth the fee. You can locate an attorney right here on AVVO under the tool "Find a Lawyer"

6. Lars A. Lundeen

Pro

3

Answered . Your charge has nothing to do with the expired registration.

Legal Disclaimer:

If this information has been helpful, please indicate below.

Mr. Lundeen is licensed to practice law in Florida and Vermont. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. Mr. Lundeen strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in your state in order to ensure proper advice is received.

This ans. does not create an attorney/client relationship.

Pro

4

Answered . Spend a couple hundred bucks for a local traffic court lawyer to fight the citation.