If i was involved in a slip and fall over three months ago can i persue a case still if i am developing pain from the incident?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Waterbury, CT

I was involved in a slip and fall in the month of october 2012.I was out of work for over a month,and now back to work but have been experiencing a sharp pain that comes in my leg whenever and is quite painfull.It almost feels like my leg is messed up after being involved in the slip and fall.The incident took place outside of a store.I was walking to my car when i tripped on the pavement due to it being un-leveled.

1. Scott Douglas Camassar

11

Answered . It is not too late. But more information would be needed to fully evaluate your potential case. For example, what was the defect in the parking lot and how long it was present are big issues, since the owner or manager of the lot is only responsible for defective conditions that they knew or should have known about. If they have broken or deteriorated pavement for some such that it poses a risk to pedestrians, they may be liable. Photos will be needed. Also, was this at night? If so, what were the lighting conditions? Was it reported to anyone after the accident? Who owns or is responsible for the lot? I don't expect you to know all the answers to these questions, but these are some of the issues that come up and will need to be determined. I would be happy to discuss this further with you tomorrow should you wish to contact me (I'll be in court in the morning but should be back in the office by 11:30 or so).

2. Anthony A. Ferrante

Pro

9

Answered . Yes, you may still be able to pursue a case despite the fact that three months have passed. If your injuries were severe enough to cause you to miss a month from work chances are that they are significant enough to pursue a case, assuming you have already sought medical care to help document your complaints and symptoms.

The real question is whether the defective condition which caused you to fall is actionable - meaning is it a significant enough defect to hold the adjacent landowner/town/city/county responsible for your injuries. This question depends on a lot of things but most importantly the size and nature of the raised sidewalk and the laws of the jurisdiction where this happened.

I suggest you immediately contact a personal injury lawyer in your area who is familiar with the local codes and statutes. Use the Avvo "Find A Lawyer" function on this site. Good luck!

3. Chris Matthew Limberopoulos

8

Answered . Very good advice has been given to you here.
    It is now up to you to get to a lawyer.

4. Manuel Alzamora Juarez

7

Answered . I agree with all my colleagues. It would be helpful if you gave a statemenyt to your doctor regarding your injuries and where it happened. Take pictures if the conditions are the same. Best of luck.

5. Peter C. Bowman

Pro

5

Answered . In Connecticut, the statute of limitation is two (2) years for an action in negligence. Yes, you can still pursue a claim for this case. Please contact my office, or another experienced Connecticut personal injury attorney to discuss this case.

Pro

6

Answered . You have time. Retain a personal injury lawyer to investigate this defect and to send an expert out to the site.

Only 29% Contingency Fee! Phone: 215-510-6755 www.InjuryLawyerPhiladelphia.com
  7. Frank C Bartlett

Pro

4

Answered . You still have time to pursue your potential claim, but you should contact an attorney as soon as possible so that they can determine whether you have a viable claim and can assist you in compiling and preserving the evidence necessary to pursue your claim. I would be happy to discuss your case in more detail, feel free to contact my office.

By providing this answer I am not providing legal advice, nor has any attorney client relationship been formed.
  8. Mark F Griffin

Pro

3

Answered . I agree with most of the advice given so far. However , if you fell on a municipal sidewalk, a notice of claim, pursuant to C.G.S. 13a-149, is required under Connecticut law to be filed with that town/city within 90 days. If your case falls within the parameters of this statute, you may have a problem legally pursuing your claim. As with any case , a full discussion of all the facts of the case should be done with an attorney knowledgeable in this field of personal injury law. I suggest you contact an attorney immediately to discuss your case. My firm is in nearby Watertown, Ct.. Good luck!

9. Timothy Leo Bowden

4

Answered . possibly. sometimes when a person is in a weakened state due to injuries, they have increased pain due to trying to return to their normal routine. but you need to contact a local personal injury attorney in your state to get an evaluation or your case in that liability may be an issue.