If I was involved in a car accident in California where I am 50% liable, can I keep my med pay since the settlement amount that

Asked about 3 years ago - Garden Grove, CA

If I was involved in a car accident in California where I am 50% liable, can I keep my med pay since the settlement amount that I was offered doesn't cover all of my medical bills? If so, how? Are there any laws that says that I can keep all of it? I'm currently looking at the Made Whole Doctrine.

1. Gregory M Mccarty

Answered . It is impossible to answer this question without looking at the policy language of your auto insurance policy (i.e. the reimbursement provision concerning med-pay.) I say this because the Make Whole rule can be expressly waived in the policy language. If it is, then it will not be a complete defense to your insurer's right to reimbursement. If it is not, then you can argue you are entitled to a waiver. You may also want to look at the reimbursement provision to see if they discount for comparative fault.

2. Steven Mark Sweat

Answered . It sounds like you may have received money from the other party's insurance company and are trying to keep that plus the med pay from your own carrier. If this is the case, it is possible. You are on the right track with looking at the "made whole doctrine". I would argue that you haven't even received enough to cover your medical expenses much less your general damages and, therefore, have not been "made whole" which is a prerequisite to reimbursement.