If I was granted a court ordered name change through the dissolution of marriage in court , how do I go about changing my name

Asked over 2 years ago - Melbourne, FL

If I was granted a court ordered name change through the dissolution of marriage in court , how do I go about changing my name changed on my SSC and DL ?

1. Brent Allan Rose

2

Answered . First, get a certified copy of the divorce order that cganges your name from the clerk. It must be certified. The one that has a stamp for the judge's signature won't work. Next, make an appointment at the Social Security office for a new social security card due to a name change. Take your certified divorce order to the social security office with you. Next, make an appointment at the driver's license office for a new driver's license with a name change. Take your certified divorce order and new social security card with you to the driver's license office.

If you haven't gotten a new driver's license under the Real ID law yet (everyone has to do it one in their life--it's the one where you have to show a birth certificate or passport, electric bill, etc.), you might as well do that at the same time. Check here for instructions:

http://www.flhsmv.gov/realid/index.html

2. Konstantinos Dean Kantaras

1

Answered . You may want to obtain a few certified copies of the Final Judgment once it is entered for your personal records. You may need to submit a certified copy when obtaining a new driver's license, passport and Social Security card. You may also need a certified copy when requesting a name change on any professional licenses you hold, or apply for in the future.