If I was granted a court ordered name change through the dissolution of marriage in court , how do I go about changing my name

Melbourne, FL |

If I was granted a court ordered name change through the dissolution of marriage in court , how do I go about changing my name changed on my SSC and DL ?

First, get a certified copy of the divorce order that cganges your name from the clerk. It must be certified. The one that has a stamp for the judge's signature won't work. Next, make an appointment at the Social Security office for a new social security card due to a name change. Take your certified divorce order to the social security office with you. Next, make an appointment at the driver's license office for a new driver's license with a name change. Take your certified divorce order and new social security card with you to the driver's license office.

If you haven't gotten a new driver's license under the Real ID law yet (everyone has to do it one in their life--it's the one where you have to show a birth certificate or passport, electric bill, etc.), you might as well do that at the same time. Check here for instructions:

http://www.flhsmv.gov/realid/index.html

The contents of this answer should be considered friendly advice, not legal advice (I'm a pretty friendly guy), and the answer should not be construed to constitute an attorney-client relationship. If you'd like actual legal advice, call me for a free consultation at 813-635-0222. Also, if you liked this answer as much as my big ego thinks you did, be sure to click the thumbs-up button!

You may want to obtain a few certified copies of the Final Judgment once it is entered for your personal records. You may need to submit a certified copy when obtaining a new driver's license, passport and Social Security card. You may also need a certified copy when requesting a name change on any professional licenses you hold, or apply for in the future.

Get Avvo’s 10-part divorce email series

A weekly guide with tips and legal advice for each stage of the process.

Recommended articles about Divorce