If i was given a court date for master hearing, and i still have my greencard , can i travel from los angeles to tijiuana ,

Asked over 3 years ago - San Ysidro, CA

when i came back from mexico, at lax . i was given a nta, on Jan 2010, then on jan 2011
i received a notice that the nta was cancelled and to go pick up my passport at ins in
los angeles, I went they gave my passport and a paper stating that i am a legal resident
but the judge will decide if HE takes it away. so could i drive to tijuana from La and comeback. on september 2009 I applied to renew my greencard and I received on
Feb 2010. I have already gone and come couple times. thank you,

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Carl Michael Shusterman


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . If your green card is expired, traveling outside the U.S. would not be a good idea.

    Please see

    This answer is offered for informational purposes only. It is not offered as, and does not constitute, legal... more
  2. Kevin Lawrence Dixler


    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . The facts are unclear. If you have a master calendar hearing, then your NTA was 'not canceled. If you leave the U.S. when you have an Immigration Court case, you can self deport yourself. This means that you can be stopped from returning to the U.S.

    I strongly recommend that an experienced immigration attorney investigate. It is unclear whether your Immigration Court case was terminated. More research is needed.

    The above is general information, not legal advice, and does not create an attorney client relationship.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

27,952 answers this week

3,092 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

27,952 answers this week

3,092 attorneys answering