If I was financially controlling ed it go against me ?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Baltimore, MD

Married for 12 yrs , I was in control of all finances in my home , as was the breadwinner , dint share my accounts etc assets with my wife , now she is filing for absolute divorce , ed it go against me ? she has been a stay at home mom all these yrs with our 2 young kids , also alleges abuse , and is seeking sole custody . ! We have a marital home , only my name on it and no equity , have retirement savings arcs etc , she's moved out of the house with the kids though .

1. David Raymond Mahood

Pro

2

Answered . It is not unusual for the parent who works, to be the same parent to handle the finances. It is also not unusual for the other parent to shoulder this burden to make things easier on the parent who is working. So, No, the fact that you handled the finances will not automatically go against you. It is clear that if you have not committed any abuse, that your wife is quickly strategizing to gain a strong advantage against you in this divorce. If she succeeds in convincing the court that you have been committing domestic violence against her, then the court at some point is going to issue orders which will hurt you. I would suggest you consult with an experienced divorce attorney for advice on how to protect yourself and your rights in this case. You may reach me at (410) 381-1656. I would be pleased to help you. I am not far from you. David Mahood, Esq.

2. David Alexander Browde

Pro

Answered . "Financially controlling" is rarely an issue of any consequence. Consult a local divorce attorney and discuss your situation in detail in order to come up with a solid strategy.