If i was divorced in one state, but now live in another. I want to change back to my maiden name, what form do i need?

Asked over 3 years ago - Gilbertsville, NY

I was divorced in 2007 in the state of NJ. I now live in Ny state. Ive asked in this state what I should do. I was told that i have to have file from the state i was divorced in. I called Nj courts an they told me to go online to www.Njcourtonline.com an go on motion to change name. Im not seeming to find what im looking for. Any help?

Attorney answers (1)

  1. David Alexander Browde


    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . Filing a name change petition is an inexpensive procedure, handled in New York State Supreme Court. You can file in the county of your residence, and do not need to return to New Jersey.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

29,634 answers this week

3,255 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

29,634 answers this week

3,255 attorneys answering