If I was denied by a local law enforcement when I reported a crime to take a report what can I do if the crime was real?

Asked over 1 year ago - Phoenix, AZ

I have new evidence in the from a witness to a break in of my house and someone driving my car. I do not live in the same place and also I know that agency can't be trusted.

I want to file my report and I am afraid I will be told by this new district they wont help.

My life is in danger and no one is listening to me or helping.

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Judy A Lutgring

    Contributor Level 8


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You sound really scared, and I am sorry you are going through this. Sometimes the police don't do anything after writing their report because, although there is some evidence, they don't think there is enough reliable evidence to take the case to the prosecutor. Sometimes they are right, and sometimes they are wrong. You mentioned that you have a lot of issues going on besides this one, and you sound very stressed and afraid. So here is my advice: I am giving you several phone numbers and agencies you can contact. Some of the agencies provide services to people who are suffering from paranoia that is not based on real dangers, but is based on a temporary brain-chemistry imbalance. The police occasionally don't take someone seriously because they suspect that the person is only imagining the danger, or is afraid because they have a brain-based illness. If you can show the police that you are afraid due to a real threat (and not due to a brain illness) they might be more likely to respond. So if you want to, you can contact the first group of agencies that I am giving you -- they deal with people who are having all kinds of crises, including paranoid or fears caused by too much stress or a brain illness, as well as homelessness or near-homelessness. They might be able to help you with some of the issues you are having besides the one with the police; they might also be able to clarify for the police that you are not someone who is suffering from paranoia and that they should take you seriously. The second group of numbers are for victim-assistance organizations. Maybe they can help you get a different response from the police. So: Group one: Terros crisis line: 602-685-6000. Magellan crisis line: 602-222-9444. Group two: Maricopa County Attorney (prosecutor's office) Victim Witness program: 602-506-8522. Crime victim assistance: 602-416-6780, or 480-600-2661. I encourage you to contact Terros anyway and to look at their website (link attached below), and to look at the Maricopa County Attorney's website link below, as there is a list of agencies on that page that also deal with many crisis-type issues. I sincerely wish you the best of luck. Take a deep breath, take care of yourself, get a good night's sleep, eat healthy food, stay away from things that are not good for you, and call these agencies that might help. Don't give up! !

    A true attorney/client relationship has not been established by your question(s) and my response(s). Your... more
  2. Judy A. Goldstein

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Someone has been driving your car? Do you leave the keys in it? You do not live in your house? You don't live there bu you think you life is in danger? The facts here do not really make sense.

    You are afraid to file a report and then claim no one is helping you. What do you believe this online forum can do for you? Please go to the police if you believe you are in danger. Speak to the watch commander or chief detective if you must.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

30,757 answers this week

3,200 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

30,757 answers this week

3,200 attorneys answering