If I was convicted with a NY Drivers License for a DUI 2005 and a driving while suspended in 2007 It is on my NJ record now

Asked about 2 years ago - Lincoln Park, NJ

My tickets all read for the DUI had my NY License numbers on the tickets in 2005 that were
issued to appear in court. When I was pulled over in 2007 They said I was driving while suspended for not paying a NJ Drivers reinstatement fee. As well as a ACP fee I did not understand. ON the 2007 Driving while suspended they had my NY License on one ticket and a NJ number on another ticket. I had prior payed all of my $ 3000 to the state of NJ surcharges. was I supposed to pay those with an out of state License. As well as why did the 2 tickets I Received in NJ one was for Driving while suspended the other for an illegal lane change that had two different License numbers on them one was my valid NY one and one was a NJ number they told me the state makes up. Is this legal a conviction.

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Mark M Cheser

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyer agrees

    Best Answer
    chosen by asker

    Answered . If you are convicted of a DWI, NJ cannot suspend your NY license only your privilege to drive in NJ. They therefore assign you a NJ license number to enter into the computer in order to keep track of the case. NJ case law requires out of state drivers to pay the surcharge and to reinstate their privileges with the restoration fee. When you were stopped again they processed the 3-40 (driving revoked) on the assigned number and the moving violation on your NY license. You should retain an experienced criminal defense attorney. The charges are serious on the face on it plus in NJ if you did not reinstate your license there is case law that you are driving on DWI revoked and that has mandatory jail time as well. Call with more information.

  2. Andres Yoav Mejer


    Contributor Level 11


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . I am unclear what you are trying to achieve? It looks like you now live in NJ, but when in 2005 and 2007 you lived in NY? Assuming you now have NJ license and have prior convictions in NY for DUI, in NJ the prior conviction would be counted as a prior DUI for sentencing purposes in NJ. Until you restore your license in NJ, whenever you are pulled over you will be issued, at least, a 39:3-40 (suspended or revoked license). Contact your local Motor Vehicle Commission and ask what you need to do in order to restore your license.

    Andres Mejer 9 Memorial Parkway, suite B Long branch, NJ 07740 220 Third Street Lakewood, NJ 08701 732-... more

Related Topics


The definition, charges, and penalties for driving under the influence (DUI) vary by state and depend on a number of factors.

DUI and driver's license penalties

The state can suspend, revoke, or restrict your driver's license if you are convicted of DUI.

Travis T. Schreurs

OWI and your Driver's License

An OWI in Wisconsin involves both in-court and out-of-court consequences. In most cases, the license suspension procedure can be completed before you even make an appearance in court.... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

29,427 answers this week

3,349 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

29,427 answers this week

3,349 attorneys answering