Skip to main content

If i was asulted with a tire iron really badly and was given a brain injury how long do i have to press charges ??

New York, NY |

someone stole my really expensive mountain bike
i found out who stole it and agreed to buy it back but was assaulted by many people with tire irons

Attorney Answers 6

  1. For a civil lawsuit in NY there is a one year statute of limitation for intentional torts from the date of the incident. Consult with a personal injury lawyer to represent you.

    If this answer is helpful, then please mark the helpful button. If this is the best answer, then please indicate it. Thanks. For further information you should see an attorney and discuss the matter completely. If you are in the New York City area, then you can reach me during normal business hours at 718 329 9500 or

  2. Contact the local police department. Make a report. Act immediately.

  3. The criminal statute to have the person arrested is 5 years. The civil statute to sue is 1 year but it can be tolled if there is a criminal case. Call the police ASAP because the longer you wait the less interested they will be.

    I am a former federal and State prosecutor and have been doing criminal defense work for over 16 years. I was named to the Super Lawyers list as one of the top attorneys in New York for 2012 and 2013. No more than 5 percent of the lawyers in the state are selected by Super Lawyers. Martindale-Hubbell has given me its highest rating - AV Preeminent - in the areas of Criminal Law, Personal Injury, and Litigation. According to Martindale-Hubbell”AV Preeminent is a significant rating accomplishment - a testament to the fact that a lawyer's peers rank him or her at the highest level of professional excellence." Fewer than 8% of attorneys achieve an AV Preeminent rating. I also have the highest ranking – “superb” – on Avvo. Feel free to check out my web site and contact me. The above answer, and any follow up comments or emails is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.

  4. Do as the others have told you should be done.

    Legal disclaimer: Please note that this answer is not intended as legal advice rather it is meant for informational and educational purposes. No attorney-client relationship is created or is intended to be created by this answer. The answer relates to only Florida law. The facts of each legal matter or issue are different and you are urged to contact a licensed attorney to discuss the specific facts of your case and legal issues. less

  5. You have a year to sue.

  6. The statute gives you a year but unless they have money a lawyer will not take the case. The DA may be able to get you some restitution to cover medical bills and lost wages.

Personal injury topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics