If i was asulted with a tire iron really badly and was given a brain injury how long do i have to press charges ??

Asked about 1 year ago - New York, NY

someone stole my really expensive mountain bike
i found out who stole it and agreed to buy it back but was assaulted by many people with tire irons

1. Jayson Lutzky

Pro

9

Answered . For a civil lawsuit in NY there is a one year statute of limitation for intentional torts from the date of the incident. Consult with a personal injury lawyer to represent you.

2. Eric Edward Rothstein

9

Answered . The criminal statute to have the person arrested is 5 years. The civil statute to sue is 1 year but it can be tolled if there is a criminal case. Call the police ASAP because the longer you wait the less interested they will be.

3. George G. Burke III

7

Answered . Contact the local police department. Make a report. Act immediately.

Pro

5

Answered . You have a year to sue.

5. Henry M. Rubinstein

4

Answered . Do as the others have told you should be done.

6. John J. Carney

Pro

1

Answered . The statute gives you a year but unless they have money a lawyer will not take the case. The DA may be able to get you some restitution to cover medical bills and lost wages.