If I was arrested but the charges were dropped, does this still show up on my criminal record?

Asked almost 5 years ago - Christiansburg, VA

After fighting with my husband over divorce he became physically violent. My lawyer advised me to charge him with assault, so my husband charged me for no reason. We both dropped the charges. But will this be traceable when people do background checks on me?

For a Job at Kmart will Domestic Violence charge show up?

1. Howard Woodley Bailey

Pro

2

Best Answer

Answered . In NJ, the answer would be Yes, it will show up on your record. The reason for this, is the record includes arrests, and convictions or other dispositions. When our clients ask us this question, we suggest that they submit their fingerprints to the State Police, who then send the client a printout of their record. At least then the client knows whether they need to do an expungement. Consult with an experienced defense lawyer in your State to determine whether these practices are also applicable in your State. Good luck.

Disclaimer
    This information is offered for informational purposes only, as I do not practice law in your State. It is not intended as legal advice and you should not rely upon it to decide how to resolve this issue. No Attorney-Client relationship is intended or established by this response. You are faced with a situation where you need to consult with an experienced defense lawyer admitted to practice law in your State before you make any decisions as to how to resolve this issue.

2. John M. Kaman

Pro

Answered . You can't and didn't charge anyone with anything. Only the DA can do this. If there was an arrest it will show on your record. If a complaint was filed by the DA but you were never booked into custody it will not showup.