Skip to main content

If I want to submit a complaint against a police officer/s and do not know their names or badge numbers can I do so regardless?

Los Angeles, CA |
Filed under: Civil rights

Will The investigators be able to locate the names of officer's from an incident. I was taken to the hospital and taken into custody. Provided with the location date and approx.time of day can I have the offending officers investigated for misconduct.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


The police department is required to have a procedure for complaints from citizens that allege misconduct (see Penal Code Section 832.5), so you can file a complaint with the department they are obligated to investigate. If you provide information about the date, time and other details, I'm sure the investigators will be able to identify the officers involved. Also if you believe the police acted in a fashion that violates your rights in some way you need to consult with an attorney in your area. Use the Avvo Find a Lawyer tab to find one that handles Civil Rights matters to discuss the facts and circumstances. Best of luck to you...

THESE COMMENTS MUST NOT BE CONSIDERED LEGAL ADVICE. Comments made on websites such as are provided for information purposes only. The only way to determine how the law may apply to your particular situation is to consult with an attorney licensed in your jurisdiction. Answering this question does not create an attorney-client relationship or otherwise require further consultation.


I'd have to think that there are records from which the internal affairs division can identify the officer(s) in question. If you were charged with a crime ther certainly be police reports filed by the officers.

Civil rights topics

Recommended articles about Civil rights

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer