Skip to main content

If I want to resign as the President of a C Corporation (CA), what forms do I use and who do I need to notify?

Orange, CA |
Filed under: C-corporation Business

I am currently listed as president for a family operated retail store (mattress & furniture). We have been in business 4 years and the business will still operate. I need to remove myself as president and transfer the title to another. Please list the documents I need file to officially remove my name from the corporation and turn it over to the other person.

Attorney Answers 3

  1. In order to resign as president you need to send a letter of resignation. You may also be a director and if you want to completely disassociate yourself from the corporation you will also need to resign as a director if you are one. If you are a shareholder, there may be a shareholders agreement that establishes the protocols for the transfer of shares. It sounds as if you should speak to a business attorney in your area to review the corporate documents and advise you in the matter.

    This answer does not constitue legal advice, nor does it creat an attorney/client relationship. If you are seeking legal advice upon which you intend to rely, you should hire competent cousel familiar with this area of the law in your locale.

  2. I agree with Mr. Boss. Also make sure to send in an amended Statement of Information to the Secretary of State listing the new CEO and/or Agent for service of process if you were listed on this form before. I also recommend that you run your situation by a business attorney in your area. It should not cost a lot to have this looked over and obtain a consultation. Good luck.

    *Scott G. Nathan has been licensed to practice law in California since 1983. The information presented here is general in nature and is not intended, nor should it be construed as legal advice for any particular case or matter. This posting does not create any attorney-client relationship with Scott G. Nathan or my law firm. For specific advice about your particular situation, you should consult with an attorney immediately.

  3. The corporate bylaws should tell you whom to notify of your resignation. Generally, you have to notify the corporate secretary. If you are secretary as well as president, you write yourself a resignation letter.

    The board of directors will then choose the new president.

Business topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics