If I want to leave at age of 17 can I without a parental cunsent?

Wellsville, NY |

My Gf wants to leave home but she is not sure what age she has to be to leave without parental permission

The age of majority in NY is 18. Although she may be able to leave her home, she needs to consider where she will be living, how she will pay her bills, how she will get around, etc. Is there a family member she could live with instead of going out on her own? These are all issues she needs to consider. Best of Luck to her.

Legal disclaimer: The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than the educated opinion of the author. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the person asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change. Attorney is licensed to practice law only in the State of Massachusetts. Responses are based solely on Massachusetts law unless stated otherwise.

Well there might be Idk all I know is she has a sister in bolivar she might be able to move in with um what age do you have to be to get emancipated in the state of Ny?

18 is the magic age to walk out the door without parental consent.

I am not your attorney and any posts/messages or responses to posts/messages can not establish an attorney-client relationship. www.PatchogueAttorney.com You should not rely upon free legal advice and I disclaim any liability for the results if you do.

18. Assuming she could leave today who would she support herself?

I am a former federal and State prosecutor and now handle criminal defense and personal injury/civil rights cases. Feel free to check out my web site and contact me at (212) 577-9797 or via email at Eric@RothsteinLawNY.com. I was named to the Super Lawyers list as one of the top attorneys in New York for 2012. No more than 5 percent of the lawyers in the state are selected by Super Lawyers. The above answer is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.

18 is the age of majority. If she wants to leave before then, she can file a petition to emancipate herself. The problem is that once she leaves, she will not longer be entitled to parental support for college, health related issues etc. This is a big step and should not be taken lightly.