If I want to leave at age of 17 can I without a parental cunsent?

Asked about 1 year ago - Wellsville, NY

My Gf wants to leave home but she is not sure what age she has to be to leave without parental permission

1. Howard M Lewis

Pro

3

9

Best Answer

Answered . The age of majority in NY is 18. Although she may be able to leave her home, she needs to consider where she will be living, how she will pay her bills, how she will get around, etc. Is there a family member she could live with instead of going out on her own? These are all issues she needs to consider. Best of Luck to her.

2. Paul Karl Siepmann

Pro

2

Answered . 18 is the magic age to walk out the door without parental consent.

3. Eric Edward Rothstein

1

Answered . 18. Assuming she could leave today who would she support herself?

4. Maria C. Tebano

1

Answered . 18 is the age of majority. If she wants to leave before then, she can file a petition to emancipate herself. The problem is that once she leaves, she will not longer be entitled to parental support for college, health related issues etc. This is a big step and should not be taken lightly.