Skip to main content

If i want to leave at 17 from my house and i run away from home . and if my mother calls the cops do i have to live with her ?

Roswell, GA |

me an my mother fight a lot and I'm tired of it . she always finds a reason to yell at me or say things to me . and i feel like the problems at home make me do poorly at school because of what she says to me

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


To answer your question, Yes. I advise that running away is not the solution. Maybe you should consider counseling, including possibly having your mother participate in group or individual sessions to try getting to the core of the issues you and your mother are having.


If you are under the age of majority, 18, and you commit a delinquent offense then you will could be charged with a crime in juvenile court. If you run away, your mother can call the department of juvenile justice or police and report you as a runaway and unruly which means that you could end up with charges against you and potentially end up on probation. If you are close to 18, you should try to work things out through counseling or some other means. If you just turned 17 and you are self-sufficient, you may file for emancipation. However, you should research this further to determine if you would meet the criteria. Some information can be found at:

Child custody topics

Recommended articles about Child custody

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer