Skip to main content

If I want to file an appeal for the way my fiance was sentenced, will it cost a lot? Or does it depend on the lawyer I hire?

Los Angeles, CA |

My fiance was charged with a fire arm and has had 3 priors before, was give 6 years max. He has been in County jail since 05/01/11 and was sentenced on 09/25/12 to state prison. Will attorneys charge to look over his paper work in which show the charges for his priors? (penal codes) I would like to know if its even worth appealing before I sign any contrat with an attorney.

Attorney Answers 4

  1. What is it that you want to appeal? That YOU feel he got too much time? Regardless of your feelings about it, he may have pled to save himself a longer prison sentence. You should talk to his previous attorney first, then decide whether or not there are grounds for an appeal.

    Mr. Feasel is a former prosecutor in San Mateo County (CA) with over 10 years of criminal law experience. Nothing stated on this site shall in anyway be construed as legal advice, or as creating any attorney/client relationship. If you would like to hire Mr. Feasel to further investigate your situation, feel free to contact him thru this site.

  2. You should talk to several appellate attorneys. They are not going to charge to just talk to you for a few minutes, but may charge to review the file. Will it cost a lot? How much is his liberty worth? That a three-time offender got sent to prison on weapons charge is not amazing, though.

    Some lawyers cost more than others. To a large extent, you get what you pay for.

    If any answer on AVVO helps you, mine or someone else’s, please mark it as "helpful" or "best answer" to help AVVO know which answers to show others.

    Thank you.

    --- Experienced Criminal Defense Lawyer in Madison, Wisconsin

    --- Facebook Page

    Confidential information should not be disclosed in this Internet forum. I am a Wisconsin lawyer. The laws in each jurisdiction can be very different. I cannot give legal advice over the internet nor can I establish an attorney client relationship with you. You should NOT assume or otherwise conclude that there is an attorney -client relationship between any reader and this writer or his firm. These comments are only guideposts. They are not subject to any privilege protections. Indeed, these internet communications are neither privileged nor confidential. Accordingly, those using this form of communication need to be guarded in what they write. Because of the nature of these communications the information is general only and should not be relied upon in any specific case. This internet site is public forum, where the communications are not confidential or privileged. There may very well be merit to your defense or position in this type of situation. However, there are hardly sufficient details for an attorney to provide you with some path to follow. It is imperative that ALL of the facts in a particular situation be examined. No conclusion can be drawn from the communication that you have provided. There are some matters that are just better handled by an attorney familiar with the procedures of the courts in your area. Most, if not all, legal matters should not be handled via internet communication. At best, the responders on this site can give you a few hints and guidance. To deal with a legal problem, nothing is better than to consult with a lawyer who will give you some time and advice. If you cannot afford an attorney, there should be agencies in your area that can provide discounted, or even free, legal services. Experienced Criminal Defense Lawyer in Madison, Dane County, Wisconsin Talking to the Police - Advice from Lawyers and Police:

  3. Under certain circumstances, your fiance may be entitled to court appointed counsel that will represent him in his appeal without charge to you. Was your fiance represented by the PD's office? Did his prior attorney file a notice of appeal already? If the answer to both of these questions is yes (and you should contact his prior attorney to find out), then your fiance may have counsel appointed to represent him. Please note, this is an oversimplified answer, but it should not take you or an appellate attorney too much time to find out if the notice of appeal has been filed, and if your fiance is eligible for court appointed cousel. If you have a case number you can try looking the case number up on the Court of Appeal's website.

    Also note, challenging priors on appeal can be difficult. And if your fiance was sentenced after he pleaded guilty, any appeal can be very difficult to win.

  4. From what you write, I have to say it is most likely a waste of money to look into a possible appeal. Without knowing more specific information, it's hard to say for sure but a firearms charge with three priors of some sort would suggest 6 years is not an unduly harsh sentence. Nevertheless, there is a reasonably specific formula by which sentencing is conducted and, if you have full information on what he was found guilty of/pled to, I could give you a better answer.

    You may wish to call me if you have that information. I would not post such specifics on a public forum.

    Neil Fraser

Criminal defense topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics