If I've been with a company 15yrs, can they fire me for a couple of customer complaints? no formal write-up was received.

I had back ailments in 2012; the company moved me from 1 branch to another for my restricted duties.in feb,2013,I underwent surgery,more lost time,less duties etc. I turned 59 in march. In may, I'd asked for an raise in commission to help my kids in college.I was denied & told I had to show them I could produce again, they then said they were moving me to 1 more branch and it was my "last shot" Asked why?"we're tired of moving you around."Location I was sent to had increased sales since my move. I had 2 customer(verbal) complaints in 2 weeks,1 was a complaint to a company owned by the neighbor of our companies owner. Complaint was an excuse to let me go.I've had less than 10 customer complaints in my 15 years with them.I feel due to age/ new heath issues: I feel I'm discriminated against.

Denver, CO -

Christopher Daniel Leroi

Christopher Daniel Leroi

Business Attorney - Greenwood Village, CO

Colorado is an "at will" employment state in which you can be fired for basically any reason or no reason. However, there might be an issue as to whether you fall under the Americans with Disabilities Act which would provide you with protections. Additionally, the Family Medical Leave Act might be applicable as well, although it is hard to tell. Finally, you might have an age discrimination case under Title VII is you can prove the termination was due to age. A great place to start is with the EEOC and the CO Department of Labor.

Daniel Nelson Deasy

Daniel Nelson Deasy

General Practice Lawyer - Centennial, CO

Yes, they can fire you. Mr. Leroi's analysis is right on.

Stephen Clark Harkess

Stephen Clark Harkess

Bankruptcy Attorney - Wheat Ridge, CO

On what basis were you discriminated against? If the real reason you were terminated was because of customer complaints or sales performance then you were not discriminated against and you have no claim.

If, on the other hand, you believe you might be able to prove that the real reason you were fired was because of your age, your race, your gender, or an actual disability, then the termination might be illegal. If that is the case, you need the assistance of an employment attorney.

Related Advice