If I've been granted asylum 2 months ago,is it too soon to request a travel document to leave the US for a short trip?

New York, NY |

I've been granted asylum two months ago. I have an urgent trip for work which requires I travel outside of the US for a period of 2 weeks. Is there a risk in issuing a travel document so soon? Will I face any problems in returning back to the US? Will my asylum status be affected by my request to travel soon after my asylum had been granted? How long does it take to issue a travel document?

1. Please consult with an immigration attorney for more information.

2. You are welcome to request a travel document and to travel, as long as you do not return to your country from which you claimed asylum. It takes about 90 days to get a refugee travel document.

The above is intended only as general information, and does not constitute legal advice. You must speak with an attorney to discuss your individual case.

3. You really should speak to your attorney, if you had one. Traveling outside the US, will not affect your asylum status, provided that you do not return to your homeland.

It is always recommended that you apply for Advance Parole well in advance of your trip. All applications are done on a case by case basis....although usually it's between 90-120 days after filing. You can always try to request Expedited processing, but having to travel for work does not seem to qualify. USCIS website has information about this.

Law Office of Marc Taylor, Esq. PC, www.usavisanow.com, 888-645-6272, info@usavisanow.com , 224 W. 4th Street, Suite 200, New York, NY 10014 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.