If I've been evicted from a commercial building can my items be kept and sold by landlord?

I got behind in my rent at my hair salon. The landlord changed the locks in November. I contacted them about getting my items cleared out so they can rent the space if they wanted. In January I sent a text to landlord and asked about my items again because I wanted to make sure they were safe. She responded that they were. But the stylist who rented my space told me that they were trying to sale my equipment. Can they hold my things?

Winston-salem, NC -

Kenneth Love Jr.

Kenneth Love Jr.

Litigation Lawyer - Winston-salem, NC

It depends on your lease. If your lease allows the landlord to take the items in compensation for the last rent and they file the appropriate lien documents yes. If the lease does not allow this, you will likely need to sue in small claims to get your items back before they sell them.