If I travel to my home country to apply for a F1-visa and it is denied, can the embassy take away my current J1-visa ?

Asked about 1 year ago - Lake Worth, FL

I am currently an AuPair in the United States and on a J1-visa. I am planning to attend school in fall of 2013.
I am going back to my home country July 12th and my appointment at the embassy is on July 17th to apply for the F1. Now my J1-visa expires on August 14th. If the F1-visa gets denied can the officer at the embassy take away my current J1-visa since it is so close to the expiration date ?
And if they are not able to take away my J1 but the F1 is still denied, can I file for a change of status that will allow me to attend school when I get back to the states ? Or will it be harder for me to file for a change of status since the F1 was denied ?

1. Carl Michael Shusterman

Pro

16

Answered . It is possible, but it depends on the reason for denying your F-1 visa.

2. Giacomo Jacques Behar

Pro

5

Answered . Yes your US consulate could very well cancel your soon to expire J-1 visa, and yes, that will make it harder for you to get another visa issued to you in the future.

3. F. J. Capriotti III

3

Answered . Yes, they can cancel ... but we need more info before we can predict that it will happen, or not.

There won't be enough time to do a COS from J to F ... they take more than 2.5 months.