If I travel to Brazil and take a 2 year long vacation I lose my residency. How would I get it back ?

Asked about 1 year ago - San Diego, CA

This questions is primarily for JoAnn Lois Barten, but feel free to pitch in.
I am a permanent resident. I have been for many years. I have a green card and I am unemployed.
My stepfather is American citizen, he was born in Rhode Island.

1. Giacomo Jacques Behar

Pro

4

Answered . Once one "loses" LPR status due to abandonment (prolonged absence from the US), the only way to get it is to have the relative through whom LPR status was obtained re-file for you again, assuming this was a relative petition case.

Where your step father was born is irrelevant. The only relevant question here is whether or not he married your mom prior to you turning 18.

2. J Charles Ferrari

2

Answered . You get a reentry permit before you leave and you return to the US before it expires.

3. Jorge Ivan Pardo

2

Answered . If you lose your residence you MIGHT get it back the same way you got it in the first place. We need more information to answer your question. Your age, for example. If you are under 21 and unmarried, your step father may be able to apply for you. You are asking a for a "what if", which is usually followed by plenty more "what ifs". Contact an attorney in your area.

4. Stephen D. Berman

2

Answered . If you qualify for a new immigrant visa, you can immigrate again. Otherwise, why don't you just become a citizen first and then go on the vacation.

5. Myron Russell Morales

Pro

2

Answered . Before you leave, apply for a re-entry permit as that serves as the best evidence that you did not intend to abandon your residence.