If I tell social security administration they can't see my bank accounts, can they make me give them my bank information?

Asked over 1 year ago - Wichita, KS

I received a letter of redetermination for SSI stating that if I disagree with any of my statements, I should contact then within 10 days after receiving the letter. I disagree with SSI having permission to contact any financial institution and obtain any financial record about me held by the institution. Can they force me to give it to them?

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Paula Brown Sinclair

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Best Answer
    chosen by asker

    Answered . No, they can't force you to divulge bank records, but they can deny benefits on that grounds. Supplemental Security Income (SSI) is a means-tested welfare program. There are strict limits in the income and assets a person may have in order to be eligible for SSI benefits. Eligibility is determined upon review of assets, including bank accounts.

    Best wishes for an outcome you can accept, and please remember to designate best answer.

    This answer is offered as a public service for general information only and may not be relied upon as legal advice.
  2. Clifford Michael Farrell

    Contributor Level 19


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . I agree with Ms. Sinclair. You need todecide if you want to lose the benefits or give out a little bank information.

    The exact answers to questions like this require more information than presented. The answer(s) provided should... more
  3. Lawrence John Gibney Jr.

    Contributor Level 14


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . Because SSI is a nees based program they have a right to determine whether or not you have any assets that would disqualify you from benefits. The disqualification amount is very low. Best of luck to you.

    This information is provided as a public service to provide a general answer and should not be relied upon as... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

25,504 answers this week

3,290 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

25,504 answers this week

3,290 attorneys answering