If I tell social security administration they can't see my bank accounts, can they make me give them my bank information?

Asked over 1 year ago - Wichita, KS

I received a letter of redetermination for SSI stating that if I disagree with any of my statements, I should contact then within 10 days after receiving the letter. I disagree with SSI having permission to contact any financial institution and obtain any financial record about me held by the institution. Can they force me to give it to them?

1. Paula Brown Sinclair

5

Best Answer

Answered . No, they can't force you to divulge bank records, but they can deny benefits on that grounds. Supplemental Security Income (SSI) is a means-tested welfare program. There are strict limits in the income and assets a person may have in order to be eligible for SSI benefits. Eligibility is determined upon review of assets, including bank accounts.

Best wishes for an outcome you can accept, and please remember to designate best answer.

This answer is offered as a public service for general information only and may not be relied upon as legal advice.
  2. Clifford Michael Farrell

2

Answered . I agree with Ms. Sinclair. You need todecide if you want to lose the benefits or give out a little bank information.

3. Lawrence John Gibney Jr.

1

Answered . Because SSI is a nees based program they have a right to determine whether or not you have any assets that would disqualify you from benefits. The disqualification amount is very low. Best of luck to you.