If I tell social security administration they can't see my bank accounts, can they make me give them my bank information?

Wichita, KS |

I received a letter of redetermination for SSI stating that if I disagree with any of my statements, I should contact then within 10 days after receiving the letter. I disagree with SSI having permission to contact any financial institution and obtain any financial record about me held by the institution. Can they force me to give it to them?

No, they can't force you to divulge bank records, but they can deny benefits on that grounds. Supplemental Security Income (SSI) is a means-tested welfare program. There are strict limits in the income and assets a person may have in order to be eligible for SSI benefits. Eligibility is determined upon review of assets, including bank accounts.

Best wishes for an outcome you can accept, and please remember to designate best answer.

This answer is offered as a public service for general information only and may not be relied upon as legal advice.

2. I agree with Ms. Sinclair. You need todecide if you want to lose the benefits or give out a little bank information.

The exact answers to questions like this require more information than presented. The answer(s) provided should be considered general information. The information provided by this is general advice, and is not legal advice. Viewing this information is not intended to create, and does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship. It is intended to educate the reader and a more definite answer should be based on a consultation with a lawyer. You should not take any action that might affect your claim without first seeking the professional opinion of an attorney. You should consult an attorney who can can ask all the appropriate questions and give legal advice based on the exact facts of your situation. The general information provided here does not create an attorney-client relationship.

3. Because SSI is a nees based program they have a right to determine whether or not you have any assets that would disqualify you from benefits. The disqualification amount is very low. Best of luck to you.

This information is provided as a public service to provide a general answer and should not be relied upon as legal advice.