Skip to main content

If I sue former tenants for breach of contract (landlord/tenant), would it still be timely? Other options, i.e. credit bureau?

Lansing, MI |

In March 2005 I the property manager for my parents, was hasty in allowing a couple to move in without a thorough background check. Red flags, i.e. not having the official Michigan lease agreement for them, wanting to outsmart me, i.e. DOWNPLAYING the fact that I was the agent with the law school background, their inmature rush to leave the in-laws should have been a cue...oh well! Even though we later successfully sued the subsequent tenant, their out of wedlock relative, it still nags me that these people had the nerve, during their breached tenancy, to check my id during the presentation, stick in a cat and made me feel bad because I said something racy inappropriate to the wife, etc., as well as damaged the property? Can we still sue them? If not, what?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


I seriously doubt it. If you were going to sue under the lease, you would have had to have done so, long ago. I am not sure what other claims you would have.

James Frederick

***Please be sure to mark if you find the answer "helpful" or a "best" answer. Thank you! I hope this helps. ***************************************** LEGAL DISCLAIMER I am licensed to practice law in the State of Michigan and have offices in Wayne and Ingham Counties. My practice is focused in the areas of estate planning and probate administration. I am ethically required to state that the above answer does not create an attorney/client relationship. These responses should be considered general legal education and are intended to provide general information about the question asked. Frequently, the question does not include important facts that, if known, could significantly change the answer. Information provided on this site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed attorney that practices in your state. The law changes frequently and varies from state to state. If I refer to your state's laws, you should not rely on what I say; I just did a quick Internet search and found something that looked relevant that I hoped you would find helpful. You should verify and confirm any information provided with an attorney licensed in your state. I hope you our answer helpful!

Landlord-tenant topics

Recommended articles about Landlord-tenant

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer