Skip to main content

If I sue for partition and we settle before court, do I get back the retainer? real estate partition

Jacksonville, FL |
Filed under: Real estate Probate

I own a house with relatives who won't sell willingly, despite several good offers. Their reasons are personal, not business. I must sue for partition, but first I need to hire an attorney. If successful, I know I can recover the retainer cost at closing - after the lawsuit and sale is completed. But... if my family decides to sell/settle without a formal hearing, can I recover the attorney's retainer I fronted? How?

Attorney Answers 3


Not to sound glib, but this would be a good question to ask an attorney in a consultation before you put down the retainer. According to your facts, it will take a partition suit before there is even talk of a sale or settlement.

If this answer is helpful or you feel it is the best answer, please click that option. This response is for general informational purposes only and not for the purpose of providing legal advice. The writer is only licensed to practice law in TN. You should contact your attorney to obtain advice with respect to any particular issue or problem. Use of and access to this Web site or any of the answers by the named attorney do not create an attorney-client relationship between said attorney and the user or browser.

Mark as helpful

3 lawyers agree


Your attorney is entitled to be paid for the work that he or she does. Who pays for the attorney's fees and whether you should be reimbursed for money that you spend is something that should be included in any settlement agreement. If your relative retain their own lawyer, it is unlikely that they will want to pay your attorney fees in a settlement of the partition action.

Disclaimer: This answer is provided for informational purposes only, does not constitute legal advice, and does not create an attorney-client relationship. Actual legal advice can only be provided after completing a comprehensive consultation in which all of the relevant facts are discussed and reviewed.

Mark as helpful

6 lawyers agree


As a general rule, there is no fee shifting in cases - that means you must pay your own unless a statute or court rule provides that the loser must pay. Fee shifting typically occurs in consumer protection and intentional tort cases. I am not a FL attorney, but I would be very surprised if your statute or rules pertaining to partition actions permitted fee shifting.

Whether or not you get all or part of your retainer back will depend on the terms of the contract that you agree to with your attorney. It is unlikely that an attorney would take a partition action on a contingency (and it may not be permitted) - so you would likely be an hourly billing basis. As a general rule, you would get the return of any unearned portion of the retainer if the matter settles early.

If this answer was helpful, please mark it as helpful or as a best answer. This answer is for general education purposes only. It neither creates an attorney-client relationship nor provides legal guidance or advice. The answer is based on the limited information provided and the answer might be different had additional information been provided. You should consult an attorney.

Mark as helpful

3 lawyers agree

Real estate topics

Recommended articles about Real estate

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics