If I sue for dissolution of a CA LLC for which I'm a member, does the company have to be named in the lawsuit?

Asked about 1 year ago - Irvine, CA

My partner and I are in a dead lock on how to operate the company, so I need to push for dissolution to force a buyout. However, if I'm required to name the company in the lawsuit, what is to stop my partner from using the company to pay his legal fees?

1. Michael Charles Doland

3

Answered . Yes, the LLC must be named. A judge will supervise how the LLC assets are accounted for and distributed.

You both need to consult a CPA to determine the tax consequences of what you are attempting and consult a mediator to see if you can fashion a "win-win" solution which will be much less expensive than litigation.

2. Scott Aron Thompson Kron

1

Answered . The company must be named as a nominal defendant. As a nominal defendant, it pretty much takes a back seat.

Depending on the allegations against your partner, your partner could be forced to hire independent counsel.

Feel free to contact me for a free consultation--my office is in Laguna Hills.

3. Kermit M Milburn

2

Answered . The Manager of the LLC should decide how company funds are to be used. You should contact a corporate litigation attorney to help you.

4. Ronald L Coleman

Answered . Why not start with the company attorney to see if there is a way to resove the issues before you start litigatopm? If you do not have a company attorney, consult with a corportate attorney as there may well be a way to resolve the issue and save everyone a lot of money. There are ways to resolve such dsputes witout lititgation, assuming there is some degree of reasonableness between the parties.