Skip to main content

If I stayed beyond my program expiration for F-1 visa, what will my status be?

New York, NY |

I am applying for green card through my USC spouse. The form i485 asks for my "Current USCIS Status" and "Expiration". What exactly do I put in here? I had an F-1 visa. I appreciate your answers.

Attorney Answers 6

  1. Best answer

    You can put "no status" or "overstayed F-1". It really doesn't affect your case since you are married to a US citizen. Please see

    Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration experience. His response to your question is general in nature, as not all the facts are known to him. You should retain an attorney experienced in immigration law to review all the facts in your case in order to receive advice specific to your case. Mr. Shusterman's statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.

  2. You should put "F-1 visa" and your status expiration date as noted on your I-20.

  3. You should put your status as an F-1 Visa and the expiration date as stated on the I-20

    You may contact the Law Office of Robin J. Gray for further legal advice. Office (610) 689-0877; Fax (610) 689-0932; Cell (484) 769-5855; This answer is for informational purposes only. It does not establish an attorney client relationship.

  4. Since F-1 visa status is duration of status in other words D/S you technically cannot overstay your status. So your current status is still duration of status but given the fact that you're marrying an American citizen and adjusting based on the immigrant visa petition it will not technically matter status.

    Mr. Asatrian's practice is dedicated to the area of immigration and nationality law. Please note the information provided herein does not constitute legal advice and should not be construed as such by anyone. It should not be relied upon as legal advice as more specific facts, research and analysis may be required to formulate a proper strategy and action in your matter. Please note this does not create an attorney-client relationship whatsoever. You should seek the assistance of an experienced immigration attorney to review your matter thoroughly and gather all of the necessary information and documentation to provide you with the best possible legal solution.

  5. You can put F1 and date of expiration in the next column. However, since you are pursuing adjustment of status through your USC spouse it really does not matter.

    Note: Our main area of practice is U.S. Immigration Law with focus on Removal, Deportation, Asylum, Employment Visas, Non-immigrant Visas (H1B/L1/J1), Immigration Bond matters, Criminal Immigration and other complex Immigration matters and related Federal Court litigation. This communication, though, does not constitute “legal advice” nor does it form an attorney-client relationship.

  6. You should put your status as an F-1 Visa and the expiration date as stated on the I-20. Since, you are marrying a USC it should not affect your case. It is a good idea to consult with an immigration attorney who will help you with the process and make sure all the documentation is prepared and submitted correctly.

    The information provided is intended for informational purposes only and should not substitute for the advice and counsel of an attorney. This information does not constitute legal advice. We ask that you consult with a lawyer, as your facts are unique and because each situation requires analysis from many different perspectives. We cannot be responsible if you rely on information based on this website without the consultation of an attorney.

Immigration topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics