If I stayed beyond my program expiration for F-1 visa, what will my status be?

Asked 11 months ago - New York, NY

I am applying for green card through my USC spouse. The form i485 asks for my "Current USCIS Status" and "Expiration". What exactly do I put in here? I had an F-1 visa. I appreciate your answers.

1. Carl Michael Shusterman

Pro

16

1

Best Answer

Answered . You can put "no status" or "overstayed F-1". It really doesn't affect your case since you are married to a US citizen. Please see

2. M. Gabriela Ungo

4

1

Answered . You should put "F-1 visa" and your status expiration date as noted on your I-20.

3. Robin Jean Gray

Pro

2

1

Answered . You should put your status as an F-1 Visa and the expiration date as stated on the I-20

4. Harry Asatrian

2

1

Answered . Since F-1 visa status is duration of status in other words D/S you technically cannot overstay your status. So your current status is still duration of status but given the fact that you're marrying an American citizen and adjusting based on the immigrant visa petition it will not technically matter status.

5. Ajay Singh

1

1

Answered . You can put F1 and date of expiration in the next column. However, since you are pursuing adjustment of status through your USC spouse it really does not matter.

6. Ili J. Subhan

Pro

1

1

Answered . You should put your status as an F-1 Visa and the expiration date as stated on the I-20. Since, you are marrying a USC it should not affect your case. It is a good idea to consult with an immigration attorney who will help you with the process and make sure all the documentation is prepared and submitted correctly.