If i state in my website terms and conditions that I will not be liable for actions taken by users, will I be liable still?

Boston, MA |

Users on my website will be able to freely upload musical content that might contain copyright infringement. I however have stated in the terms and conditions and made them comply before they create an account on the website. Will I still be liable howsoever?

I would need to know more about the structure to your site. If you are a service provider of a forum allowing users to post content (like YouTube), you would be regulated by the DMCA (digital millennium copyright act). If you stick to those regulations, you can avoid liability. Otherwise, disclaimers of liability alone likely won't cut it. Consult a copyright attorney.

You need to see an Internet attorney. If you are replaying a Napster 1 business model you are illegal. If you are just hosting like You Tube you might read 17 USC 512 so you will understand better.

I am not your lawyer and you are not my client. Free advice here is without recourse and any reliance thereupon is at your sole risk. This is done without compensation as a free public service. I am licensed in IL, MO, TX and I am a Reg. Pat. Atty. so advice in any other jurisdiction is strictly general advice and should be confirmed with an attorney licensed in that jurisdiction.

Terms and conditions of use for website users, generally, will not protect you from a third party lawsuit. While you may have a right to indemnification from a user who violates your terms and conditions by posting copyrighted materials, you will still have to retain counsel and answer a lawsuit if you or your site is named as a defendant. Your best bet would be to contact an intellectual property attorney in Boston (there are a TON of them), and seek counsel as to the best way to legally protect yourself from internet scofflaws. Good luck!

I am licensed to practice law in New Hampshire and Massachusetts. This response is based on limited information, is general in nature, does not constitute legal advice, is intended for educational purposes only, and does not create an attorney-client relationship. In short, I am not your lawyer just because I responded to your post. You should not rely on any advise given on AVVO. Rather, if you have a specific legal question or problem, you should retain a lawyer licensed in your state to answer or address your legal question or problem. IRS Circular 230 Notice: Any U.S. tax advice contained in this post is not intended or written to be used, and cannot be used, for the purpose of (i) avoiding penalties under the Internal Revenue Code, or (ii) promoting, marketing or recommending to another party any transaction or matter addressed herein.