If i started an car accident case with a lawyer and feel can I get a new one?

Asked 8 months ago - Newark, NJ

Car got hit by a tractor trailer Insurance found them liable but nothing has happened from there

1. Robert W Rubinstein

19

1

Best Answer

Answered . The simple answer is yes you can hire a new lawyer. However, before you do that, you should make an appointment with your present attorney and discuss the concerns that you have. There may be a simple answer as to why there is a delay. Some cases take longer than others due to the nature of the injuries or who the insurance company or attorney is on the defense. If you are still not satisfied that he/she is the right lawyer for you, make a change. Be sure to ask any new lawyer if they actually try cases and ask for references. Good luck.

2. C. Donald Briggs III

Pro

18

1

Answered . You own your case and you can change lawyers if you want. Before you make a change, you should sit down with your lawyer and find out if there is a legitimate reason for the delay. If you are still unsatisfied after meeting with your lawyer, you should hire a lawyer who works better with you.

3. Yolanda Navarrete

16

1

Answered . Yes, you may change to another attorney at any time. It is best to make changes early on, however. This is because much of what an attorney does with a case can't be changed. Also an attorney may be less likely to accept a case that is older.

4. Randall Richard Sevenish

Pro

15

1

Answered . It is your choice who you have representing you however, there are many things that go on in the background and you may need to have a meeting with your current attorney to see if there is some movement you may not be aware of. If you are still unsatisfied, you can seek new counsel.

5. Jeffrey Mark Adams

13

Answered . Yes, but please consider the excellent advise you've received before proceeding. All the best.

6. James D. Wade

14

1

Answered . I am not a personal injury attorney but I know more than a few. A typical case can go on for a good number of years with very little happening for long periods of time. I would speak with your attorney first before making any decisions and find out where your case stands. If you feel that the attorney is just making excuses then I suggest speaking with another attorney.

Pro

8

Answered . You can switch lawyers at any time. Best bet is to get a top-rated Avvo lawyer with a low contingency fee, so you don't get hurt twice. Good luck.

8. David A. Papa

7

1

Answered . Sure you can but sit down with your attorney and have a face to face out of respect for he or she. Determine why things are not working-if they can be fixed give it a try. If not, seek out an experienced attorney on AVVO using the "FInd a Lawyer" tool bar.

9. Stacy Ilene Benson

1

Answered . Yes. It is your case and you must feel comfortable with the attorney handling your matter. But as the other attorneys stated, you should consult your present attorney first and ask, and have answered, all your questions or concerns. Also, please remember that even if an insurance company admits liability there are many other issues that they consider before offering any settlement.