If I signed over custody , can I get custody back?

Asked over 2 years ago - Fremont, CA

Hes about to turn 5. Hes been with his dad since 3.. I only signed over cuz I moved and I wasnt stable, now I am can I get him back to live with me ?

1. John Noah Kitta

7

Best Answer

Answered . Our office has maintained a family law practice in Alameda County, Santa Clara County and Contra Costa County for the past 31 years. I have represented several thousand of individuals in family law matters.

Simply stated, the court will do what is in the best interest of the child. To your benefit, one of the court's concerns is that a child have as much time as possible to spend with both natural parents. Obviously, this requires some reunification program to enable you to gradually get back into the child's life and provide the child with a huge comfort zone in regard to you having a regular role as his Mom. The sooner you start the process, the quicker we will obtain results. I believe it would be in your best interest to contemporaneously attend a complete parenting class to show the court that you are very serious and committed to this matter.

I hope this is helpful.

John N. Kitta
    Fremont

2. Isileli Tupou Manaia Mataele

6

Answered . I don't know what signed over rights means. Unless the court ordered it by an agreement, there can be no signing over rights. Only the court can order rights terminated and it must be done in probate or juvenile court. Family court can only limit your parental rights not terminate them.
    If you signed something simply stating that you agree to terminate your rights, it is meaningless.

3. Maryam Atighechi

5

Answered . If what you mean by "signed over" is that you agreed or stipulated to have sole custody provided to his dad, then yes, you can file a modification with the court to change that order and have more time. If you terminated your parental rights then that is a different issue.