If I sign the I-864, Can I retire in a few months later? or Would I wait for at least 5 years until they get the citizenship?

Hyattsville, MD |

A lady wants to be the second sponsor for coming to USA her brother with wife and three children. In this case, she is the first sponsor. Now I am near for retiring, if I sign the I-864, Can I retire in a few months later? Impede that I retire? Or, do I have to wait for at least five years?

1. You may retire but you are still contractually obligated as the joint sponsor. The I-864 is a binding contract with the federal government, so you should consult with an attorney to advise you on what it means if you have doubts.

This information is not intended to create an attorney-client relationship, as the information provided is extremely limited and without the benefit of having all facts available.

2. You can retire. This, however, would not absolve you of the responsibility under the contract.

The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter,not should it be viewed as establishing an attorney client relationship of any kind.