If I sign the I-864, Can I retire in a few months later? or Would I wait for at least 5 years until they get the citizenship?

Asked 11 months ago - Hyattsville, MD

A lady wants to be the second sponsor for coming to USA her brother with wife and three children. In this case, she is the first sponsor. Now I am near for retiring, if I sign the I-864, Can I retire in a few months later? Impede that I retire? Or, do I have to wait for at least five years?

1. Alexander Joseph Segal

4

Answered . You can retire. This, however, would not absolve you of the responsibility under the contract.

2. Vidal Luis Cordova Jr.

2

Answered . You may retire but you are still contractually obligated as the joint sponsor. The I-864 is a binding contract with the federal government, so you should consult with an attorney to advise you on what it means if you have doubts.