If I sign a paper saying that I received my inheritance check, do I forfeit an accounting before the estate is closed?

Southampton, PA |

This concerns my Mother's estate who lived in GA. My sister is executor
who also lives in GA and I live in PA. My sister does not communicate well and I now have serious trust issues.

1. Hello ...

It depends on what the paper says ... If it says you have reviewed the Accounting (which is the final distribution usually), then you would be hard-pressed to make an issue.

If it just says you receive a partial distribution and that is all it says, then no.

What does it say ... if you can tell me more, I can help you better ...

John

*
    John B. Whalen, Jr., J.D., LL.M. is an AV Peer Review Attorney and Counselor at Law, is listed in The Bar Register of Preeminent Lawyers, is Avvo Rated 10.0 Superb, is a recipient of the Legum Magister (LL.M.) Post-Doctorate Degree in Taxation (from the Villanova University School of Law), and is a recipient of the American Jurisprudence Award in Wills, Trusts, and Estates (from the Widener University School of Law).

Mr. Whalen, Jr. provides free initial home consultations seven (7) days per week, including all evenings, weekends, and holidays, from 7:00 AM to 10:00 PM.
    888-845-0823
    610-407-0220
    610-999-2157
    jbwj@comcast.net
    Avvo.Com
    WhalenWillsLaw.Com
    TheWhaleBlog
    Martindale.Com

Although we invite you to contact us and welcome your calls, letters and electronic mail, please remember that this information is for informational purposes only, and does not create and does not create an attorney-client relationship. This website is not intended to be the rendering of legal advice for specific cases, you should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel, and you should consult an attorney for advice regarding your individual situation.

2. It is functionally impossible for an attorney in this forum to provide you advice about signing a document that we have not seen. Are you merely signing an acknowledgment of payment, or is it the document a waiver? Without seeing it, we cannot properly answer the question. You should consult with a local attorney who can sit with you and read the document.

When responding to questions posted on Avvo, I provide a general purpose response based on California law as I am licensed in California. In reviewing my response, you are specifically advised that your use of, or reliance upon any response I provide is not advisable. I do not have all relevant background details or facts related to your issue / matter, thus I am not in a position to give you legal advice. Further, your review, use of, or reliance upon my response does not establish an attorney-client relationship between us nor does it qualify as a legal consultation for any purpose. For specific advice regarding your particular circumstances, you should consult and retain local counsel.

3. I would not sign ANYTHING without seeing an accounting - at least an informal account. An informal account is complete but is not filed with the Court for audit. An informal account would be the minimum you would look for before you would accept any money. You do not describe what this "paper" says but it probably waives a lot of rights that you do not want to waive unless you have the full picture of the administration of the estate. Get yourself to a lawyer and make sure you protect your rights and do NOT sign any paperwork until you have some legal advice from a qualified attorney.

Wills and estates topics