If I serve a defective 3 day notice to perform on my tenant what are my options?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Torrance, CA

I served a 3 day notice to perform or quit on ytenant today but later discovered that when it printed the address of the property did not print onto the notice. Can I repeat this process tomroww with another notice or can this cause me a problem>

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Brad S Kane


    Contributor Level 19


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You can and should should post a new corrected notice with the correct information.

  2. Frank Wei-Hong Chen

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Yes. In fact, your only option (if you wish to preserve your right to file an unlawful detainer lawsuit) is to re-serve the correct(ed) 3 day notice to perform covenant or quit on the tenant.

    Frank W. Chen has been licensed to practice law in California since 1988. The information presented here is... more
  3. Malosack Berjis

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . You should ABSOLUTELY post a new notice (and, this time, making sure that it complies with the statute, before posting it).

Related Topics

Landlord-tenant law

Landlord-tenant law is governed mostly by state laws, and covers issues like security deposit limits and deadlines, evictions, and the right to withhold rent.

Tenant rights

Tenant rights vary by state, but in general, you have the right to safe and habitable housing, privacy, and to not be discriminated against, among other things.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

27,027 answers this week

3,138 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

27,027 answers this week

3,138 attorneys answering