If I say DIVORCED in my I-485 do I have to provide marriage and divorce certificate? Can I just say single instead?

Asked over 2 years ago - Cleveland, OH


Just curious as obtaining those documents can be a hassle, specially the divorce certificate. If I say divorced, do I really need to provide all those documents. Is it ok to say single instead, which is what I considered myself?

Additional information

All those legal procedures ( marriage, separation and divorce) happened OUTSIDE the US, so documents are outside of the country and need translation. :(

Attorney answers (5)

  1. Stuart Jonas Reich


    Contributor Level 19


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . No, you need to be truthful and state divorced, providing at least the divorce decree (though you can often get by without the marriage certificate for a terminated marriage.

  2. Philip Alan Eichorn

    Contributor Level 19


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . It's a hassle to be truthful and obtain status by fulling disclosing all relevant and requested information? Failure to disclose requested information can be considered a willful misrepresentation of a material fact, grounds for a denial and initiation of removal proceedings pursuant to INA 237(a)(1)(A) and 212(a)(6)(C)(i). Perhaps you should retain counsel to best protect your interests from yourself.

  3. Karen-Lee Pollak

    Contributor Level 19


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You need to disclose your legal status not what you consider yourself. You do need to provide your divorce decree

  4. Reza Athari

    Contributor Level 14


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . Concur that you will have to disclose

    Reza Athari
    Attorney at Law
    Certified Specialist - Immigration and Nationality Law
    State Bar of California - Board of Legal Specialization

    Main office: Las Vegas, Nevada
    Reza Athari & Associates, Pllc

    3365 Pepper Lane, Suite 102
    Las Vegas, NV 89120
    Telephone: (702) 727-7777
    Fax: (702) 458-8508
    Toll free: (800) 565-2030

    Barstow, California
    Reza Athari & Associates, Pllc

    309 East Mountain View Street, Suite 104
    Barstow, CA 92311
    Telephone: (760) 957-7220
    Fax: (760) 957-7396

    St. George, Utah
    Reza Athari & Lui, Pllc

    1036 East Red Hills Parkway, Suite D
    St. George, UT 84770
    Telephone: (435) 656-1136
    Fax: (435) 656-1145

    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Reza Athari & Lui, Pllc

    525 W 5300 S Suite 150
    Murray, UT 84123
    Telephone: (801) 262-LAW7
    Fax: (801) 281-9603
    If you have a SKYPE account, we may now video-conference or conduct a conference call on the computer from and to anywhere in the world for free. More information may be found at www.skype.com

  5. Luis Alberto Guerra


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . Of course you do have to provide certified copies of your divorce. Keeping it "simple" as you state may keep you out of the US. Be honest.
    ---------------------------------------- This email was sent by: Avvo, Inc. 1501 4th AveSuite 1900 Seattle, WA, 98101-1588, USA We respect your right to privacy - visit the following URL to view our policy. ( http://click.mail5.avvo.com/?qs=95f5f15d149e6bf... ) ----------------------------------------

    Law Office of Luis A. Guerra (954) 434-5800. This answer is of a general nature and should not be relied upon as... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

23,963 answers this week

2,798 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

23,963 answers this week

2,798 attorneys answering