If i resign in lieu of termination will I get unemployment benefits

Chicago, IL |

employer told me on 3 different occasions that I will be fire if my attendance was not in compliance. employer stated that i must wait a few days until the electronic system updated and I will find out my fate. i waited the allowed time and turned in a letter of resignation after I found out that it was not up to standards. i resign in lieu because of the fore warning that "I will be fired" and to protect my employee record when applying to other jobs.

If you quit unemployment benefits are out of reach. Remember, Illinois is broke and the press on benefits is staggeringly overwhelming.

If you resigned, you are not entitled to unemployment compensation. If you are fired for cause, you are also not entitled, provided the employer has followed certain guidelines before letting you do.

As the other responses indicate, you cannot protect unemployment benefits by this ruse. And, I don't see how this really helps "protect" your employee record. Your former employer may not give you much in the way of a positive job rating under these circumstances. When you get a new job, you really owe it to yourself and your employer to show up on time day in and day out. The alternative is finding yourself unemployed and with no income at all. Good luck.

Please be sure to mark the best answer to your question. My answers are general and do not form an attorney-client relationship. I'm happy to talk to prospective clients in my areas of concentration and geographical location.

Recommended articles about Employment