If I represent myself in a DUI case, can I personally interview the officers involved? If yes, how do I go about doing so?

Asked over 5 years ago - Tucson, AZ

I want to get recorded statements from officers on the events that took place throughout the dui arrest.

1. 1

Answered . Bad idea! Criminal Court is not the place to try out your Perry Mason skills and a skilled prosecutor will tear you up with the Rules of Evidence. You may have the right to a preliminary hearing that would allow you the chance to cross exam the Officers that the State calls to testify, but again unless you have legal training, you would be falling into the trap that goes with the saying "a person who represents themselves have a fool for a client". Beg, borrow or just pay if you have the money for a good DUI Defense Attorney.

2. Answered . The officers will not agree to meet with you before trial and give you recorded statements. If you choose to represent yourself you will have the opportunity to cross examine them at trial, but not likely before.

3. Answered . I agree with my colleagues, and the assessments and advise of Mr Willis. Criminal defense is not a do-it-yourself project. You obviously do not understand the procedures involved in Court proceedings or the questioning of witnesses. Unless you already know the Rules of Evidence, the Rules of Court and all of the legal issues pertaining to the defense of these types of charges before you start representing yourself, you will be a prosecutor's dream come true. Get a lawyer. Good luck.

DISCLAIMER I do not practice law in your State. This answer is provided solely for informational purposes only. This answer does not constitute legal advice, create an attorney-client relationship, or constitute attorney advertising.

4. Answered . They won't give you recorded statements but send the officers a letter and copy the prosecutor. By the way, I don't recommend representing yourself. Remember the sage words of Abraham Lincoln.