If I rented a place month to month and did not provide a SSN, Can the owner evict you and have it go on your record? I am moving

Covina, CA |

but withholding rent for 2 mths since she doesn't want to fix anything. Been there for 2yrs in Covina living in an illegal back house / private owner. I've complained about a few items such as cracks and holes within the dwelling. I didn't sign a lease just a month to month rental agreement.
I have a serious ant problem due to her excessive watering of her plants which she chooses to put up against my unit. The plants were not there before I moved. Her son also has a turtle tank where they dump the water again next to my unit. Ants come inside and maggots are on the outside.
I think this dwelling may be illegal because when someone came down to inspect her property, she said they were appraisers, she did not want them to know that anyone was living in the unit and collecting rent from it

Yes, a SSN is not necessary to place an eviction judgment on someone's credit.
You may have some remedies available to you if the unit is illegal. Contact the local health or building department, or a landlord tenant attorney.
See the link below for info on your rights as a tenant.

Thanks, I really cannot see how she can evict me since I did not sign a lease agreement, it was only month to month, of course if she had my ssn she can probably evict me. I'm trusting your advice since you are a lawyer, I'm not one. I've actually read that I'm entitled to back rent/relocation fees etc but I do not want to do that to that person. I don't want to be evil about it. I just want what's fair. She is not fixing anything and she just prefers me to move so I'll move but withholding 2 months rent due to this unexpected early move. If I was living in an actual apartment with a lease or month to month using my credit then obviously I would take things in a whole different manner like first writing complaint letters etc.

Nicholas Basil Spirtos

Nicholas Basil Spirtos

I don't want you to misunderstand anything I might have said. She can evict you. It does not matter that you do not have a lease. If you don't have a written lease, then you are automatically considered a month to month tenant. Your SSN has nothing to do with her ability to evict you. She can do it. If you are voluntarily moving and she agrees to that, great. But, that does not mean that she could not sue you later for unpaid rent. If you can get her to sign an agreement that you don't owe the back rent, that would be a good idea.

That sounds like a good idea. I did let her know today that I'll be moving in the middle of September so I'll take your advice and will write out an agreement and see if she will sign it. She's a very stubborn lady so not sure if she will agree to sign it. I know once I move I cannot sue for backrent which is fine, that's not my intention but I do need to cover myself when I move so she won't try to sue me for unpaid rent as you stated. If she does not want to sign the agreements not sure what else I can do but take matters into my own hands and see what I can do to take her to court for her illegal dwelling which of course I rather not do.

Yes, they can still evict you. However, as Mr. Spiritos mentioned, since your unit appears to be illegal, you need to contact the local housing department and find out what your rights are.

Thanks

Another thing I was thinking, I'm not sure why she would try to sue or evict me knowing her unit is illegal, That would be like putting herself in problems as well. It really doesn't make sense logically speaking but I will see if she will sign my agreement letter.

Landlord-tenant topics

Recommended articles about Landlord-tenant