Skip to main content

If I remarry will my new husband's income be used for my child support calculation?

Reno, NV |

My ex-husband is a doctor and we have 5 kids together. We have joint custody and since he makes more than me, he pays me child support. I'm considering getting remarried. Would my new husband's income be included in the child support calculation? My ex currently has a girlfriend who is his "office manager" (he pays her $48k/year) for purposes of avoiding a higher child support payment. He won't marry her so that he can keep up their charade. He seems to think they can't marry or her "income" would be added to his. Any advice?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


The income of your spouse is only relevant if you are not working or not working full time and relying on your spouse's income to support you (in whole or in part). Otherwise, and generally, it is only the income of the actual parents that matters.

Responses are for general information purposes only, and are based on the extremely limited facts given. A consultation with an attorney experienced in the area of law(s) indicated in the question is highly recommended. Information and advice given here should not be relied upon for any final action or decision, as the information is limited by its nature to the question asked and the fact(s) presented in that question. THIS RESPONSE DOES NOT CREATE AN ATTORNEY/CLIENT RELATIONSHIP, particularly considering that the names of the parties are unknown.



Thank you!


You new husband's income will not be imputed to you as your income. Still, if you stop working because you are married again, the Court will impute your old income on you. The relevant cases are Lewis v. Hicks and Rodgers v. Rodgers.



Thanks for the information.

Child support topics

Recommended articles about Child support

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer