If i remarry, will my new spouse be held responsible for the child support i owe?

Asked over 3 years ago - Phoenix, AZ

i owe my ex and dont want to remarry if my new husband will have to pay my child support what do i do?

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Ronee F Korbin Steiner

    Contributor Level 14

    Answered . no child support is a responsibility of the parent associated with the child not the new spouse. If there is a judgment for past child support, they can garnish bank accounts though.

  2. Ryan Hardy

    Contributor Level 15

    Answered . Your new spouse is not responsible in any way for the past child support obligation that you owe. I agree with the above attorney that a joint bank account could be garnished if a judgment is entered against you, so that may be something you should look out for in the future.

    This answer is provided for general information only is not to be construed as legal advice. This response is not... more
  3. Ronald S. Pichlik

    Contributor Level 18

    Answered . No, child support for your minor children is your responsibility, not your new wife's. The children are not hers, or her responsibility. In fact, should you and your new wife start a family that would be a basis for your support actually being reduced, since you would be legally responsibile for more children at that point.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

26,512 answers this week

3,030 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

26,512 answers this week

3,030 attorneys answering