Skip to main content

If I remain silent when asked to give up names is that self-incriminating? Is there a better option?

Boulder, CO |

I am going to be questioned soon by police. Somebody I do not know got into trouble at their college dorm at csu for having marijuana laced with a methamphetamine drug. I go to cu here in boulder, but my name was somehow brought up to the point where police gave me a call and are going to come talk to me. I have no affiliation with the person in trouble, but the police are going to ask for me to rat out whoever gives me marijuana. I know for a fact that this is not the person that is distributing meth. I want to be as cooperative as possible but I don't want for anybody to get in trouble for this that does not deserve it. Also, the reason my name is known there is because I have family that goes to school there and I have hung out with him and friends in Boulder before.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


You need to stop this meeting unless you have a lawyer present.

You don't know exactly what the police are after. They can lie to you, confuse you, deceive you...all to get you to say something incriminating.

As a student at CU, you have a great legal aid system and it is dirt cheap. Let the police know that YOU DO NOT WANT TO SPEAK WITH THEM unless you have an attorney present.

No answer here should be considered to form an attorney-client relationship. You should consult with a licensed attorney in your jurisdiction so that a full evaluation of the facts of your case can be conducted.

John Lawrence Buckley

John Lawrence Buckley


There is NOTHING incriminating about exercising your right to remain silent!


Before you talk to anyone contact a local CO criminal attorney - many do not charge for a consultation. . Do not post any further facts on this or any other public website. You can locate a criminal attorney on AVVO under the Tab "Find lawyer" - Consult with one ASAP

This is not intended to be legal advise or as legal representation. I am a California personal injury attorney . Be aware that every state has its own statute of limitations; and statutes & case laws that govern the handling of these matters.


If you are questioned and you are not represented by counsel, you are putting yourself at risk and making a foolish mistake. Get an attorney immediately.

NOT LEGAL ADVICE. FOR EDUCATION AND INFORMATION ONLY. Mr. Rafter is licensed to practice in the Commonwealth of Virginia and the US Federal Courts in Virginia. There is no implied or actual attorney-client relationship arising from this education exchange. You should speak with an attorney licensed in your state, to whom you have provided all the facts before you take steps that may impact your legal rights. Mr. Rafter is under no obligation to answer subsequent emails or phone calls related to this matter.


"I want to be as cooperative as possible..." NO, YOU DON'T.

If you believe that you may be the target of a police investigation (which it sounds like you may be) then you do not want to be as cooperative as possible. What you want is to avoid getting charged with a criminal offense. Your best chance of that is to politely refuse the request for an interview and speak to a criminal defense attorney.

You can reach Harkess & Salter LLC at (303) 531-5380 or Stephen Harkess is an attorney licensed in the state and federal courts of Colorado. This answer is for general information only and does not create an attorney client relationship between Stephen Harkess or Harkess & Salter LLC and any person. You should schedule a consultation with an attorney to discuss the specifics of your legal issues.

Criminal defense topics

Recommended articles about Criminal defense

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer