If I refuse a Certified/Return Receipt Letter from an attorney, do they have to send a process server?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Portland, OR

I was recently awarded a judgment from small claims court against a former tenant. Though I doubt I will ever see any money, he is now saying he will sue ME. The grounds aren't important ~ he has none and is just angry that he lost so badly.

I put a considerable amount of time and money into the small claims suit, and if he is going to sue me, I would like him to get a taste of his own medicine: I had to hire a process server to serve the papers after he refused the Certified letters.

He knows where I live, so a skip trace won't be necessary, but if I refuse a Certified letter, will he then be forced to hire a process server? And watch the costs begin to add up....


Attorney answers (3)

  1. 1

    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . ORS 46.445(3) allows for service of a small claims complaint by certified mail. If you don't answer the complaint and the defendant then applies for a default, there will be no one to speak on your behalf and the court may grant the judgment against you, after which it might be you stuck spending money and time on the process. If not, the sheriffs office will serve you for $36, or he can have a friend do it. Not a huge barrier to litigation.

    As for the demand letter, there is no requirement that it be served by certified mail. It is only required that the plaintiff attempt to collect the debt before suing. You refusing to accept mail just makes you look like a jerk, if not outright culpable.

    Licensed in Oregon. Advice provided is general legal information relevant to the facts provided. It is not... more
  2. 1

    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . No one is reqd to sign for a certified letter. if he is trying to serve you that way, he will have to have someone else serve you. He may have a friend do it and save process serving fees.

  3. 1

    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . No

Avvo advisor logo@2x

Need an answer to your questions within 15 minutes?

  • 15-minute phone call
  • Ask any questions
  • $39 flat fee
  • Money-back guarantee
Talk to an attorney now

Can't find what you're looking for?

Ask span5@2x

Ask a question on our public forum.

Ask a lawyer
Advisor span6@2x

Have an attorney contact you privately.

Right now.

Icon lock@2x
Secure conversation. Your details remain between you and your attorney.
Icon clock@2x
Get an answer guaranteed. Be assured that a lawyer will contact you to help with your legal issue.
Start your session now