If I quit my job would this be considered "good cause" in Illinois to apply to unemployment?

Asked about 5 years ago - Chicago, IL

I work for a local Union. When I accepted the job I was brought in as an office manager and told the "girls" were having a hard time paying bills. I was hired. They quit. I was not told the local was in the red and the membership records were a disaster, I had to re-do all records, I found that they had borrowed from a pension funds, amongst other illegal things.. I figured as long as I did nothing wrong it should be ok. My computer was broken into, numbers fudged. I found and corrected, very stressful.. They just recently were charged and put into trusteeship all the board was kicked out, locks were changed and the office staff is kept there yet watched like ciminals.. they are havenew accountants and changing the bookkeeping records, etc.. I do not feel comfortable there. Do not trust..

They are saying the financial numbers didn't match even though I had re-done them with one of the Main Unions trainers and supervision before ever completing I see it in black and white that my numbers match... It feels too corrupt and against my morals. I want out, but I would need unemployment to survive until I find something new. Do I have a chance. I have a huge lidt of all the things in the past I had to deal with now this.. Do I have a chance for unemployment. They will try to deny it all I'm sure.. Helpppp....

1. Christopher R. Minelli

Answered . Likely the answer would be "no." The general rule under the Illinois unemployment statutes is that, where a person causes the unemployment themselves, then they are ineligible. This means that where a person voluntarily becomes unemployed or quits a job they cannot recieve unemployment benefits.

However, the Illinois Unemployment Insurance Statute does provide an exception to this rule for employees that quit their employment "(for cause) attributable to their employing unit." Therefore, if you quit you could attempt to make the argument you were being pushed into illegal activity. However, there is no good way to predict if this argument would work. The safe bet would be to assume you would be ineligible for benefits.

NOTE: This answer is not intended to be legal advice and should not be construed in that way. This answer does not create an attorney-client relationship and no such relationship may be created absent a signed retainer agreement. The author is licensed in Illinois only, and his answer is for educational purposes alone.