If i pull out of a texas real estate contract after the option period, but before closing, do I lose only my earnest or can i

Asked almost 2 years ago - Austin, TX

also be sued for specific performance on the contract?

1. John R. Bonica

Pro

3

Answered . It depends on what the contract says. The remedy of specific performance is generally available to either the purchaser or the seller upon breach of a contract for the sale of real property. The Texas Real Estate Commission One To Four Family Residential Contract provides that either the Seller or the Buyer may enforce specific performance but the contract can be modified to remove the remedy of specific performance. You need to look to the terms of your contract.

2. Daniel O'Brien

Pro

3

Answered . If you had a financing addendum or title commitment objections, you may have an excuse not to close or pay the earnest money. You need to make sure that you meet all of your deadlines. Talk to an attorney. Most agents don't understand some of the issues and all want you to close so they get paid.

3. Michael T Millar

Pro

Answered . I agree with Mr. Bonica - it depends on what the contract says.