If I prank called a house line linked to someone on house arrest can I really serve jail time. This is in Virginia.

Richmond, VA |

Someone who is on house arrest threatened me saying that the jail said that they could trace me and would arrest me and I would serve jail time. Also I understand it was an immature action, but what is the legality around the actual issue. Thank you.

P.s. the number was blocked and they said that the jail told them it was my number, although I know other people called

1. Unlikely.

NOT LEGAL ADVICE. FOR EDUCATION AND INFORMATION ONLY. DO NOT RELY ON ANY ADVICE YOU RECEIVE FROM ME OR ANY OTHER ATTORNEY IN THIS FORUM. Legal advice comes after a complete review of the facts and relevant documents and an expressed (written) agreement of representation that forms attorney-client confidentiality. Neither of these two events can occur in this forum. Mr. Rafter is licensed to practice in the Commonwealth of Virginia and the US Federal Courts in Virginia. His answers to any Avvo question are rooted in general legal principles--NOT your specific state laws. There is no implied or actual attorney-client relationship arising from this education exchange. You should speak with an attorney licensed in your state, to whom you have provided all the facts before you take steps that may impact your legal rights. Mr. Rafter is under no obligation to answer subsequent emails or phone calls related to this or any other matter.

2. If you question is whether electronic/telephone harassment is a crime in Virginia, then the answer is Yes. If you have been previously convicted of doing it, you may be convicted and sentenced to time in jail. If you used foul language, or were in any way threatening in your call, you can be jailed on a first offense. If you have been prank calling people, stop it.

The information provided herein is intended solely for educational purposes and does not create an attorney-client relationship. Please contact a local attorney for assistance with your matter.

3. I really depends on how many times you called and what was said. If any threats were made or if there was incessant calling then perhaps the action would arise to the level of a criminal offense.

For more information on me, go to www.kevinpettrey.com. Please remember that if you find an answer particularly helpful, please mark it as helpful or "best answer" so that the attorneys who volunteer their time to answer these questions have feedback. This answer is only for informational purposes, is not legal advice, and does not create an attorney-client relationship. Every case is different and must be judged on its own unique facts.