If I prank called a house line linked to someone on house arrest can I really serve jail time. This is in Virginia.

Asked 8 months ago - Richmond, VA

Someone who is on house arrest threatened me saying that the jail said that they could trace me and would arrest me and I would serve jail time. Also I understand it was an immature action, but what is the legality around the actual issue. Thank you.

P.s. the number was blocked and they said that the jail told them it was my number, although I know other people called

1. Rixon Charles Rafter III

4

Answered . Unlikely.

2. Kenneth William Jacobson

4

Answered . If you question is whether electronic/telephone harassment is a crime in Virginia, then the answer is Yes. If you have been previously convicted of doing it, you may be convicted and sentenced to time in jail. If you used foul language, or were in any way threatening in your call, you can be jailed on a first offense. If you have been prank calling people, stop it.

3. Kevin Reese Pettrey

1

Answered . I really depends on how many times you called and what was said. If any threats were made or if there was incessant calling then perhaps the action would arise to the level of a criminal offense.