If I post a comment on a website, do I have a right to remove that content?

Asked 9 months ago - San Jose, CA

Do I have a right to ask for the site to remove it?

1. Michael Kevin Cernyar

Pro

6

Answered . You can ask. Unlikely that they will comply without a court order.

2. Nicholas Basil Spirtos

5

Answered . You have every right to ask, and the website has every right to refuse. Check the site's terms of use - you may find an answer there.

3. Mark Raafat Malek

Pro

5

Answered . You can ask all you want, but you went to their website and posted on their comment. If they chose to take it down, they will. Otherwise, as my colleague indicated, you will need a court order.

The answer to this question is for informational purposes only and does not form an attorney-client relationship.
  4. Andrew Mark Jaffe

Pro

Answered . I often say as cocktail chatter that there is no gravity on the Internet, what goes up does not come down.

That having been said, I have worked for dozens of clients to get information removed or search engine de-listed. I would say the success rate for these kinds of actions among Internet attorneys is around 70% and that the cost is from $1,000 to $1,500. It all depends on the circumstances.

You may want to discuss your situation with a lawyer in more detail. Most lawyers on Avvo, including myself, offer a free phone consultation
    _______________
    Andrew M. Jaffe
    Attorney at Law
    Practice Limited to E-Commerce and Internet Law
    attorneyjaffe@aol.com
    330-666-5026 www.netlaws.us